Color Block Challenge: 4 Outfits for Under $100

Girls, are we over this trend yet?

We saw a lot of color blocking on the Spring 2011 runway and it continues to be hot since it involves the use of bold, vibrant colors, which is always fun for summer. I decided to take on a personal color blocking challenge, inspired by Mr. Goodwill Hunting.

It’s obvious that I have a penchant for high fashion, but also enjoy creating designer looks “for less” to get more bang for my buck. My challenge was to come up with four different color blocking looks for under $100. So let’s begin, shall we?

Outfit #1

This look was inspired by Katy Perry in Gucci on the March 2011 issue of Elle. It’s always fun taking a celeb look and redesigning it to fit my own style and budget.

Katy’s outfit was a tad too “runway glam” for an everyday look, so I took a similar color scheme and created a casual summer outfit with linen blazer, sleeveless top, and a gold braided belt recycled from my sister’s “junk” pile. I added an electric blue mini skirt for that pretty pop of blue we see on the Elle cover.

A very wise and talented stylist once said, “it’s the fit that makes the fashion.” So I did splurge on getting my thrifted jacket tailored ($10), bringing this Gucci-inspired outfit to a whopping total of $28.50.

Blazer: Thrifted $5.99 | Draped Blouse: T.J. Maxx Clearance $10.00 | Belt: Wet Seal | Skirt: Thrifted $2.50 | Shoes: Badgely Mischka

Outfit #2

This outfit came about simply because I fell in love with the blouse.  The chartreuse color was perfect and it was also on clearance at T.J. Maxx.  I knew a pretty skirt or slim pant would set this silk blouse off right and when I found this gorgeous iridescent pencil skirt it all just came together. The skirt is a bit loose and needs to be tailored and, since I got it for such a steal, I plan to do just that. I was really excited to find this skinny, taupe bow belt, as it was a perfect match for the Fishnet Bow Slingbacks I planned to wear with the outfit.

With the right accessories, this one is a fun “work look” for me (I’d probably throw on a blazer though, since I tend to err on the more conservative side at the office).

Roll-Neck Blouse: (Willi Smith) TJ Maxx $9.99 | Skirt: Thrifted 5.99 | Belt: T.J. Maxx $14.99 | Shoes: Christian Louboutin

This look came to $30.97!  We’re still under $100, girls.  So let’s go on!

Outfits #3 & #4

The final two looks were inspired by Anthony Williams, Stacey Dash’s stylist on VH1′s “Single Ladies.”  We all remember the famous pink and green color blocking ensemble with the cobalt blue heels she wore in Episode 7, yes?  Well, I loved that color scheme and ran with it.

Mind you, I’m a longtime fan of green and we all know that PINK is my signature color. But being a Delta I tend to shy away from rocking the two together (my SistaGreeks feel me on this one).  However, the splash of blue that he added transformed these colors into something brilliant and magical for me.

So this is my tribute to his genius.

Coolats: Thrifted $5.99 | Top: Thrifted $2.50 | Belt: Wet Seal | Shoes: (Steve Madden) Thrifted $14.99 | Earrings: Mandee Clearance $4.00

Top: Arden B. | Pants: (Express) Thrifted $2.50 | Shoes: Thrifted $5.00 | Earrings: Mandee Clearance $4.00

When I combined the total of all four looks (excluding shoes and Arden B. top, which I already owned) it came to a grand total of $99 – looks like I just made it!!!

So, how did I do girls? What’s your fav look, and what did we hate?

If you missed my segment on The Pulse Network’s ”HERE!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

96 Responsesto “Color Block Challenge: 4 Outfits for Under $100”

1. Meredith Ball says:

I love that last one too. Glad you enjoyed it, i’ve gotta update my “lookbook” more often. That sounds like a fun challenge to take. You are gorgeous my friend!

2. Roslyn Pacheco says:

That sounds like a fun challenge to take. You’ll land that Vogue cover soon. Just kidding! Add some pink bangles and earrings, and you’ve color blocked with blue, green, and pink.

3. Adriana Perkins says:

#3 is my least favorite too. You look great in all the outfits, but #1 is my absolute fave! Thank you lady! but i hope u know what i mean!

4. [...] runway collection I’ve been dying to see was the new Gucci line. Last season he was all about color blocking and this collection was seemingly inspired by the 1920′s.  We’re seeing plenty of low [...]

5. Aixa says:

That sounds like a fun challenge to take. The last outfit is definitely the best!

6. Color Blocking! « elagancesquared says:

[...] this fun article about The Color Blocking Challenge! Eco World Content From Across The Internet. Featured on EcoPressed Barefoot math professor [...]

OMG!!!! You are so fashionable!!! I am SO feeling that mini skirt outfit. WORK IT, YAKINI!!!! That blazer is amaze! Where do you shop b/c I need to go with you sometime. These deals are amazing!!!

Hehe! Thanks girl! I go to 2 thrift stores mainly. One is in Harlem (121st & 3rd) and the other on Hempstead Turnpike in L.I. Love ‘em both!!!

8. Kay says:

You look great in all the outfits but i love number 4 the most, the shoes are fabulous. You are gorgeous and i love your blog.

9. Chocolate Mom says:

I’m loving look #2 & #4…and the blue shoes are to die for!!!

Thank you so much, lady!!!! Girl, when i saw those blue shoes at the thrift shop i almost fainted! LOL!!!

10. K-Dija says:

Love all of it!!! Seriously:)

11. Krissy says:

I’m loving the 1st and the last look best! Color blocking is cool. I don’t think it’ll just be fad.

12. Reader Look For Less – Yakini of Style Me Prissy | The Looks For Less says:

[...] out Style Me Pretty for Yakini’s head to toe look and several other color blocking outfits. So what do you all [...]

13. Kerri says:

Yakini – AMAZING!
    Perfect combinations of the what is in.
    Love it!

14. Meka says:

GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!! I have to find a way to commit to your blogs. Miss a day, miss a lot. I think when I settle the girls down for the night, I really need to get my prissy mommy blog read on!!! You are great! First the boys are getting so big,(tear). Second, I am team first pic of the 4 for $100. This is so not you and I love it. I am use to hearing you being most comfortable in your coolats, but this was daring and full of hotness! You go girl! Sexy wife and mommy, you have to hit em with bringing sexy back from time to time and you were fierce!!!!!!! The colors were bold and daring and I admire that, seeing as though I am boring with safe colors!!!!!! Style numbers two and three are classic Yakini and as always great looks as well. Love the green shoes in the last pic! Green is my color! Go Girl!

Thank you Meka!!! You are too sweet! I am cracking up because you know me so well – knowing that #2 and #3 are more in my comfort zone. I really stepped outside my box with #1 and it was great! lol. Not sure if I’ll ever really wear that ensemble out, but putting together the look was really fun.

15. YUMMommy says:

The first outfit is my fave, but I love all the shoes!!

16. Patty @ A Day in My NYC says:

I LOVE all the looks but my first one is my favorite! You are gorgeous my friend! :)

17. Monica J says:

My fav is the first one, because you are working that skirt. You did an amazing job finding great pieces for afforadable prices. You make color blocking look so easy. Work it!

Thank you so much, Monica! I got really lucky because I found such great pieces at all the thrift shops that I scoured the last few weeks, while working on this post! :-)

18. Shelly says:

Oh how nice!! Brie would love to see this since she likes a lot of color. She told me when she was about 7 that I need to stop worrying about matching so much. Funny how color blocking is the thing to do these days. I think I most love the last outfit and you sure did good with your $100 budget :-)

Brie was so ahead of the game! She called it even back then! lol. Yeah, im so excited with all that i was able to do for under $100!!!

19. Farrielle says:

I love them all but my fave is the last one, I love those colors.

20. Lois says:

This was such a fun post to read you look fabulous!!!!!!!!

Thank you girly!!! And btw, where have you been?!! You havent updated in a long time – i’ve been looking for you!! lol

OMG!! !*claps* You look fabu! Look at that shape and those hips! And you had 2 kids??? Get outta here!!! Gimme that blue shirt and those Louboutin’s chick!!!

22. Cam says:

I think you worked it! I really like the second and third looks. Hadn’t thought much about color blocking. I’ll have to try it!

Hey Cam! Yeeaah, try it, try it, try it! And then send me a link to your pics, i wanna see! :)

Thx lady!

23. Nicole Feliciano says:

Thanks so much for linking up to Monday Mingle over at Momtrends. Love the pops of color and on a budget! You’ll land that Vogue cover soon.

24. Tami says:

I cant choose! They all look Fabulous on you! xoxo

Thank you Tammie!!! :-) This was such a fun challenge for me – I like all (well, most – lol) of the looks too.

25. Optimistic Mom says:

I really liked #1 and #4. These made me want to go out to the store! #2 is really cute too!
    #3 I don’t like as much to be honest. I don’t think it flatters your lower half as well. Maybe for work it is fine.

#3 is my least favorite too. I think in theory it seemed like it would work, but i’m not a fan of how it turned out when i look at the photos! thank you lady!! :-)

26. nabs says:

lol, i dont know what i enjoyed more–the post itself, or reading the comments afterward. u look FABULOUS! eboni and i were just chatting about u the other day…and the fact that the glam u is such a rarity, and a missed one at that!!! u are something else for going to 2 different extremes like that (cringes at the flashback of you in your LASIK recovery goggles, smh). just make sure ur representing like that when i see u next wknd, mmkay??

ur hair looked so long and healthy and full! and the outfits were ofcourse all fabulous. lol, it was so cute to see u in a mini-skirt, hahahahah!! that was definitely a first! lol @ u shuddering at the word “full-figured,” hahahaha!! it’s funny, because usually when ppl use such terminology, it’s really just a euphemism for “big-boned,” etc, but in reality, those are the perfect descriptive words to describe yall petite yet voluptuous chicks, like beyonce.

again i say…it must be nice! please dont be expecting me to look up to par, cuz it aint happening cap’n!

lmaoo @ the extremes. Well, unfortunately, the lasik goggles look is still the norm, and this was a rare treat, so i hope you enjoyed! ;-)

lol, i knew you all would appreciate the mini-skirt one, since that is so opposite of me. i’m sure i wont be wearing that one too often, but it was fun to work it for the photos.

lol, i still dont think full-figured is a good word to describe people like beyonce, lisaraye, or other curvy women at all! lol. that’s why i was shaking my head at that description. full figured is jill scott, kim coles, and old school oprah. there is a difference between “curvy” and “full-figured.” “full-figured” tends to be thick all around, as well as extra curvy in those womanly areas (like hips, bust, etc.) however, “curvy” is still small in other areas, but with voluptuous parts.

• Bika says:

lmao, yea, i knew “full figured” would sound real bad as soon as i typed it. but i hope u know what i mean! you definitely aren’t overweight, big-boned, etc. but the problem with “curvy/voluptuous” is that it’s a bit over used to include people like kim kardashian, who in reality is a size 2! she’s still thin, but happens to have a 34DD and medium/large booty. i’m sure once she has a few kids and gets about your size, ppl will be so quick to start calling her “fat” smh. and she probably WON’T ever get that size because of the pressure. so i just feel you represent for women who are *normal* sized, not just super skinny size 0-2. because you can still look soo pretty, healthy, cute, petite etc. even with some thickness and society needs to realize that!

27. Kristin says:

I’m not going to be over this trend anytime soon! I styled a look for Neiman Marcus in the same color palette that you’re rockin’ in the first pic!

Hey Krisin! Do you have a website? Id love to see some of your looks! Yeah, i think color blocking will be here for a little bit longer before it fades away. Such a fun trend. I love how you can get creative with it.

28. Chic Working Mom says:

You did a fab job on all of the outfits but I am absolutely living for #1. WOW!!!

29. Iman says:

I think you look fab in all of them but #1 is it!!! You are such a haute mom! Werkkkkkkk!!!

Hey girly!!! Thank you so much, that means a lot coming from a fashionista like yourself ;-) !

30. Your Opinions Needed!!! — PrissyMommy.com says:

[...] by and left comments! I really, really do appreciate the feedback.You can find the post here: My Colorblocking Challenge Meanwhile, be sure to check me out on The Look on The Pulse Network this Friday. I’ll be [...]

31. Candyce Nicole says:

Wow x 4!! I can’t decide whether I’m more blown away by how amazing you look or more blown away by the price of all of these items!

And don’t worry sistergreek, I’ve been known to rock crimson erry now and then :-p

Hahaha!!!! Hey Candyce!!! So glad you stopped by. :-) Thank you SO much!!! I was also blown away by the prices of these items. Girl, this post wouldn’t have even been possible if not for thrifting. WOOT!!!

32. LaShaun says:

The look with the blue off-the-shoulder top is my favorite! Classy Chic

Thank you LaShaun!!! I think that’s my favorite too… or maybe a really close tie with Outfit #1. :)

33. Miriam says:

I love the outfits. #1 love the colors on that. The fact that u are representing for us curvy girs is amazing. Can you do one with jeans or offer some suggest. I ran out of CB Ideas for my jeans.

Thank you Miriam!!!!
      If you want to color block with (blue?) jeans then essentially you’ll be using the main colors in your top, shoes, and accessories. Let’s use my Outfit #3 as an example. You could pair that same green top with blue jeans, and then add the blue shoes, and a skinny pink belt. Add some pink bangles and earrings, and you’ve color blocked with blue, green, and pink. Also, be sure to check out a Color Wheel for more ideas on fun color combinations, esp. as the weather shifts from summer to fall!

34. Bika says:

i love this post! #1 is definitely my fav…and #4 a close runner-up! i love electric blue, and i’m really into skirts and blouses these days, so that outfit was genius. color blocking is definitely still in and a trend that never really goes out of style. it just got really famous this year for some reason. definitely not a fan of those kulatts, but that’s just me haha. and last but not least, your body looks so good! you are really representing for the “fuller figured” women…i know that sounds bad, and don’t take it the wrong way lol but it’s good to see someone who has curves but still looks like a barbie!

Whoa, whoa, careful there, cowgirl! Lmaoo!! Okay, you saved yourself with the very last line. Hahaha! Just kidding! Yeah, i dont mind having a curvy/fuller size 8 figure, since my dimensions are still pretty much the same as when i was a tiny size 4.
      I am also tied between #1 and #4. #4 I would wear out… With #1 I think the skirt is a little short for me “in real life” but i had a lot of fun playing around with the look and taking the pics.
      Yeah, its funny how the trend returned (and in such a big way) this past Spring. It’s come and gone so many times, since the 80′s (and maybe even before, but that’s the earliest I really saw online).

• SiBonita says:

lol @ hating on the coolats! i actually LOVED wearing coolats when i was a kid (those were some of my “feel cool” outfits, lol)..and i recently bought some high-waisted light blue jean coolats from a thrift store out here in LA. i know, i know..that sounds crazy, lmao..but there was something just so funky about them, and i have faith that i can figure out a way to wear them! haha

lmaooo!! thank you!!! glad you’re feeling me on the coolats. i can definitely see how they could appear old ladyish, but it’s all in how you choose to rock it, accessorize, and so forth!

• Sybil says:

I love all of the outfits….However I’m really feeling the blue & green shoes….

Hey Sybil!!! Thanks girl. Yeah, i was SO excited to find those shoes while thrifting. They were so perfect for this post!!!!! Not sure how often I’ll get to wear them, but i sure am gonna try and find ways to make them work.

35. SiBonita says:

LOVE!! the first one is my fave..i’m all about a mini skirt and a blazer. matter of fact, have that blazer waiting for me next time i visit..thanks!! lol

Omg, it is YOURS! It fits really nicely (but you could always tailor it to fit even better) and it’s such a gorgeous pop of green. I just dont go out often enough, and doubt i’d really give it the wear that it deserves. I’ll pop it in the mail if you’re serious.

• SiBonita says:

i’m DEAD serious! i’m going to email you my new address (since i’m moving at the end of the month), and i’ll transfer you some moolah for shipping. thanks, boo!!

You did GREAT! My fav are 2 and 4 but they all are HOT. You have inspired me to get on the color block!

Yeaaahhh!!! Do it, do it, do it. Would love to see a post featuring you AND your adorable daughter’s color blocking looks! :)

37. Inez | Syle Chic 360 says:

Wow, I love all of these color block options, great job! You look amazing! You’ve gained a new follower! :)

Hi Inez!!! Thanks so much, lady. So glad you came by. :)
      Looking forward to checking your blog out from home tonight!!!

38. Mitch says:

Who is that gorgeous girl?????

39. Deandra says:

Love look #2! I’ve got to know what thrift store YOU shop in b/c I never see pieces that cute. lol

Thanks lady!!! Oh cool, I think you’re the first who picked #2 as a fav! Yay! That one is fun!
      The two thrift stores I usually go to are in Harlem (121st & 3rd) and Long Island (Hempstead Turnpike… or Hempstead Ave? Now I don’t remember exactly). I will look up the exact address if you want! :) Scroll below to see my reply to Jill (where I talked more about the thrift stores).

40. Kenesha says:

You look great in all the outfits, but #1 is my absolute fave!

41. Eboni says:

Excellent, excellent EXCELLENT job! I love the vibrant colors, and the prices!

I cant wait to get back to my normal body…in a few months, I’ll be able to join you in challenges like this! lol

Girl, if not for the prices, this post wouldn’t have been possible! LOL!!!!
      I remember having that feeling when i was preggers too. As much as i enjoyed being pregnant, and had fun with different maternity looks, every now and again i would get wistful and start thinking about my post-baby/normal body, and rocking cute, skinny girl clothes. lol. So i feel ya!

I honestly love every single look. Where are you thrifting? These pieces are amazing! I think I like the last look the best bc I love colored jeans. But those Louboutins, my goodness!

Thanks Jill!
      I usually hit up two thrift stores, for reasons of convenience more than anything else. I mean, like any thrift store, you’ve got to really “look” to find the good stuff, and there are good days and bad. But the good days are REALLY good! Just the other day I saw a gorgeous pair of D&G cigarette pants. I mean, the pants were bad. I tried to squeeze into them but these pants were like a size 3/4, so it really wasn’t happening. They never made it up past my thighs. *smh* lol Can you blame a girl for trying though?
      The first is a few blocks from my house. It’s on 121st St. & 3rd Ave. The second is in Long Island, and close to my job. It’s on Hempstead Turnpike. Let me know if you want either address and/or we should totally make a thrifting trip of it one day.

43. K. Rock says:

The first look is the best. It really seems to the one that brings out the essence of what color blocking really is. Great job with all the looks! This is fun!

I agree, K. Rock! The first one has the most “trendy” look to it, which is cool, since I was totally basing that one off a runway look. Glad you enjoyed it, i’ve gotta update my “lookbook” more often.

44. Priscilla says:

I love, love 1, 2 & 4. You are rocking that mini skirt.

Thank you lady! I love that 1st outfit too, and maybe even more so because mini skirts are NOT something i normally would wear. Like, ever. So i definitely felt very sexy and risque (in a good way) in it, which made the look especially fun for me.

45. Fatimah says:

I love all the looks! I am going to give the color blocking thing a try soon!

Fatimah, be sure to take pics and then let me know when you do!!! I can’t wait to see, you’re gonna rock it girl!

46. mixedbunny says:

I loved this post!!! My fave was the first one. I have to admit blazers are not my fave because I always feel my arms are too long lol but you are rocking that outfit! I like the 2nd one’s colors but I’m tend to stay away from iridescent- I don’t know why. I just realized I’m starting to sound silly ha! Never considered coolats and outfit 4 was great too. I def fwd’d this post on. :)

Jess!!!!! ((hugs)) Thx girly! lol, I always think my arms are too long too. And they probably are. But fortunately my legs are long too, so I guess it kinda balances out. lmaoo!!
      Looks like lots of folks like that first outfit!
      Okay, re: the coolats. Derek was NOT a fan. I asked him what he thought about them (because he was staring at me strangely), and he kinda frowned and his exact words were “My grandmother had some big shorts like that.” Yes, he did say big shorts. *sigh* LOL

47. Shey says:

Love them all but my favorite is the first one!

Hi Shey!!!! I think that’s my favorite too (or maybe my second favorite, lol) I felt so… “trendy” in that one! LOL