Léger & Loubs at Howard University Homecoming

This weekend Howard University’s Homecoming went down in DC and the city was ablaze with festivities.  My husband is a two time graduate of the school, attending HU for both undergrad and law school, so homecoming is a big deal for him.  We spent the weekend in Maryland with my family and on Saturday night attended the Black Hollywood party hosted by HU alum and rapper turned attorney Tracey Lee.

Derek is a simple man – he doesn’t ask much of me.  He goes in to the office, comes home, likes to eat a hot meal, and supports the blog in any way that he can.  So when he told me he wanted me to look extra gorgeous, sexy, and crush ‘em in there (his exact words) I knew what he was asking for.  Oh, and he had a special request: “Wear the red bottoms, okay?”  Hmmm, okay, so we are in show out mode, eh? But I knew this evening was important to him.  It’s his 20th homecoming and all of his friends plus haters (again, his words) would be there.  Men and their egos, lol.  Good thing he married a woman who likes to show out too!

To me, Hervé Léger was the obvious choice for a sexy, cabaret-style affair. I knew the popular color for a night like this is BLACK so of course I defied all fashion norms and went with beautiful pops of color. I decided to make a statement in the Saint Tropez Dress.  The purple stretch bandage dress features orange contrast trim, a V-neckline, and V-back. I completed the look with nude-colored Christian Louboutin Fishnet Bow Slingbacks. Derek rocked it out in a custom camel colored suit with peach shirt to complement my dress and heels.

I felt insanely beautiful throughout the night and received several compliments – from women (which are the most sincere compliments of all).

So great to catch up with old friends like Keith, who I met through blogging many, many years back.  In the past, I’d spoken so highly of him to Derek and it was wonderful that they finally met.

I also loved making new friends, like Derek’s college roommate’s girlfriend Tanisha, who was pretty in the Ciara One-Shoulder Cut Out Dress by Boulee and Prada Floral Heeled Peep Toe Shoes.

I kept accessories minimal, finishing the look with an orange crocodile clutch (which my sister wasn’t a fan of because it was too “matchy-matchy”) plus a few pieces Derek has given me over the years.  That way, if folks asked me about anything I could proudly respond that my husband had given it to me (he likes that :-) ).

Who Else Loves the Saint Tropez Hervé Léger Dress?

A quick search revealed that it was spotted on Atlanta socialite and reality TV personality Marlo Hampton at the Big Boi Gala this past July [Talking With Tami].

It was also worn by Christina Aguilera to the opening of The Waikiki EDITION hotel in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Tags: , , , , , ,

64 Responsesto “Léger & Loubs at Howard University Homecoming”

1. Nika says:

beautiful as usual!!! love it!!!

2. Fatimah says:

I need to catch up on your blog post, girl you are doing big things! So happy for you! You look great!

How did I miss this post? You look HOT! You pulled out the big guns! LOL.

4. Kristin says:

You are absolutely smokin’ in that bandage dress!

5. bravoerunway says:

This is my first time stopping by your blog and WOW! You look gorgeous in your Herve Leger dress, I think you wore it better than Xtina! It certainly was a fabulous event, and I think your dress, well the whole ensemble, suited the occasion!

Oh my goodness Darling! You certainly dressed to impress. You two look gorgeous together. I’m sure DH was VERY happy. I love the entire outfit! You put Christina to SHAME! What a great night.

YEsss!!! Thank you Jill!!!! I definitely felt gorgeous – me and DH gotta do things like this more often. Its so fun getting all dolled up – but i know that YOU know that! ;-)

• Glamamom says:

SO fun and reunions are cool because there’s that added excitement!

Right! He had such a good time catching up with his boys – they talked and laughed about old times all night. I loved to see him that happy and in his element.

7. Cam - Bibs & Baubles says:

work it out. rock it out. shut it down! :)

8. Mimi says:

Owwwww!!!!!!

9. ReneeG says:

Wow! You both look great in the pictures but you, my dear, looked fabulous. The way you styled your hair looked great with the dress and I liked your choice in shoes and purse. Your husband is a lucky man!! I hope you had a great night.

Hi Renee!!! Thank you SO much! The night was so much fun – i love all of DH’s college buds. Everyone was super cool. And yes, i definitely felt fabulous all night. LOL!!!

10. bkvixengonemd says:

Show out you did! You looked fierce,high five for you!!!!

11. Curvyecocentric says:

Could u possibly be more fab? I mean really?

12. Tanisha says:

Hey Yakini! It was a pleasure meeting you this weekend. Love your blog! I will definitely be making frequent visits. These pictures are FABULOUS! You and Derek shut it down!

13. Cyndi says:

OMG!! YOu look awesome!! I am so loving that dress and those pumps! Christian Louboutin pumps!! They are like super pricey and I tried one on and it was too high for me! LOL.

Glad that you had fun!!

Thank you lady!! Ummm, yeah, Christian Louboutin definitely doesnt design his shoes for comfort, thats for sure. lol. You get used to it though.

YOU DID THAT, girl! Ugh..I just swelled and beamed with pride. I am sure some folks would be like “what is up w/ her husband, wanting to treat her like a trophy wife?” SO THE F*** WHAT! LMAO! I WOULD LOVE if my man wanted me to be his arm candy and look drop dead gorgeous in my Leger and Louboutins. Chile…*sucks teeth* You all look so happy and lovely! And it looks like you had a good time! I mean just a picture perfect couple that exudes sexy and happiness.

Keith? THAT dude was there? Oh wow……LOL.

LOL!!!!! I am totally happy being his “trophy wife” – I am his arm candy and he is MINE!!! Woop Woop!!! Thanks girl!
      Yes, when i saw Keith i thought i was seeing a ghost. ;-) He looked great, very handsome and so sweet!

You looked drop-dead GORG in these pictures, Yakini! And you’ve got sexy down pat! Work it! PLUS… you and Derek together– what an attractive couple! (Does he have a younger, SINGLE brother?!)

You two definitely were a show-stopping couple and you DEFINITELY crushed ‘em in there! LOVE IT!

I literally LOL’ed at “Wear the Red Bottoms.” Ha! And how sweet is it that you wore accessories that D gave you?! So cute!

16. osato says:

wow! you look so hot…im loving it all, the dress, shoes. Show out definitely!

17. nabs says:

fierce!!! i swear, homecoming is ALWAYS about looking ur absolute best, and yall pulled that off!!

18. SiBonita says:

and omg–keith! so awesome to run into him! i hope he’s doing well!

I know!!! I was soooo excited! He asked about all of ya’all, and was so happy to hear everyone is doing well.

19. SiBonita says:

YASSSSSS!!! lol, you killed it boo!! BOTH of y’all look sharp as hell! and lmao @ having to represent for the haters, i know that’s right derek! (clearly that reminds me of the martin episode where he went to his reunion….”pretty ricky what they called him…”)

lol but seriously, you look sooo amazing! from the hair, makeup, dress, shoes, etc. even the coat! you betta werkkk!

LOL!!! YES!!! I’ve been teasing him about that the whole time. This was totally the episode where Martin went back to his reunion and had the face-off with Pretty Ricky! The way he built the jont up i felt like i was living that episode. Too funny! :D

20. Shelly says:

Lawd have mercy y’all did it up big!! You guys are a stunning couple and although everyone looked good, y’all were the “it” couple!

Awww, thank you Shelly!!! Yeah, i think we both felt really good about how we stepped out that night! :D

21. Shantel says:

you definitely shut it down!!!!

22. inga says:

Whew, you look stunning, girl! :) Both of you looked really classy. Love it.
    And Keith…….still looks good. HELLO.

Huti sure is looking good!!!! :) Doesn’t look one lick different than how I remember him.

Thanks girly!

23. Style & Poise says:

TYou lloked AMAMZING that night honey…love every thing about your look from the dress, to the shoes, to the bling bling…You’re so pretty. Also, adore Tanisha in the little black number..gorgeous girl too!

Roni

24. Sheena says:

Fashion is surely your passion! You and Derek shut it down! Hamercy!

25. Tami says:

You look fab girl, congrats to your hubby! You make a wonderful couple!

26. Earthangel172 says:

LOL @ “red bottoms”!

I hate to sound so “hood” but “YOU DID THAT!”

::quietly puts my blue eyes back in::

You looked so fab, as well as the hubs! Hope you guys had a great time.

27. Lisa says:

Great looking couple! Yakini, you are stunning in that dress! If it were a People Style poll, you definitely wore the heck out that dress in comparison to the others…sorry, just the truth lol I know the Mr. was too proud to have his hand on that hip :)

Hi Lisa! Thank you so much, lady! We did look good together, hehe – our outfits were so complementary!!! :-)

28. Style4Curves says:

STUNNING and u guys definitely compliment one another!!!

29. Bika says:

lolol hush yer mouth, u know i convinced you not to go with a nude clutch >:0 jkkk…love seeing these pics again, you guys look great! i love the close-ups of the jewelry…so beautiful.

burst X-tina, the red lip doesn’t go with everything, k??

30. Leslie J says:

You better go girl! (in my Martin voice;) You look absolutely STUNNING, from the makeup to the shoes and dress choice you worked it!